Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Chapter 6: To Trust or to Not Trust, that's the Question

"First to make the opponent's health bar to red, or make the opponent unable to battle wins.", Havok said. I nodded at him. He cynically smiled at me as he prepares his Diamondback. I pull out my Twin Daggers and prepare for his attack. He charged at me as soon as he saw I was ready.

"Diamond Slash!", Havok screamed out his skill move. The Diamond Slash was a quick slash that gives 200% additional bonus damage if an opponent was hit with. I used my right hand dagger to push away Havok's Diamond Slash and spun around to push him off balance.

"Damn it!", Havok said after he had regained his balance. He charged at me again and swung his sword at me. I blocked the swing coming from above with both my daggers, but suddenly he used his hand and punched me on my gut.

"Argh!", I shrieked whilst falling backwards. This guy does not like to lose, and he'll do anything it takes to do win. I checked my health bar, it was on the yellow zone at about 75% of my total HP bar.

"Hahaha! You like that?", Havok tried to provoke me.

"You're not going to provoke me Havok. I'll win the fight for sure.", I replied.

"I'd like to see you try.", he said.

"Go on X! Get him!", Barrios cheered for me from the sides. I nodded at Barrios and get back up to finish the fight.

"Alright, let's finish this.", Havok said. He puts up a stance and signaled me to go on an attack him. I prepared my Twin Daggers and charged at him.

"Double Cross!", I cried out one of my skills. Double Cross is a skill which permits the user to land 4 consecutive critical attacks to the enemy which deals 150% of the base damage for each hit.

"Safeguard!", Havok used his skill as soon as my right dagger hits his sword. Safeguard is a skill which allows the user to block an attack with any equipment available to use. This skill also makes the equipment sturdy enough to literally make a weapon break, just as Barrios' backsword has.

My right dagger broke into two pieces due to the impact it has got from defending Havok's Diamond Slash earlier. I didn't stop me attack yet since I still have 3 more critical hits to land at him. I used my left dagger to hit him 3 consecutive times while he was vulnerable after blocking my first Double Cross hit. After the 3rd hit, he lunged backwards to retreat from another incoming attack from me. He realized his health bar was close to the red zone.

"You've got some potential kid. Maybe you'll do well in The Chivalry.", Havok said.

"Thanks, but no thanks. I don't do guilds.", I replied. The words I said created quite some shock from the spectators of the battle. I heard murmurs of people talking about me.

"Is he crazy to actually ditch an opportunity like this?". "Such a cocky kid. He'll die soon enough with his ego". "He's underestimating the power of The Chivalry! This is a disgrace!". Of course I didn't care much of what people are saying, I have always prefer to work alone.

"Hmph. Well let's end this battle already!", Havok said as he ran up towards me.

"Let's finish this. Diamond Slash!", he said readying up for his final attack on me. I ran up towards him as fast as I can. Havok didn't thought about this, but he did stop his charge and swung his sword at me. I sled down on me knees to dodge his attack and slashed him with my dagger. His HP bar reached the red zone, and the battle was ended.

"How... How did..", Havok said in a shocked tone. The spectators also gave out a shocked gasp, they never thought that the famous Havok would have been beaten by a regular gamer.

I put back my dagger to my holster and walk up towards Barrios, who was also shocked.

"You okay?", I asked.

"Y-Yeah. How did you do that man? That was awesome!", Barrios replied. He seemed happy that I managed to beat Havok.

"Beginner's luck", I shrugged. "Come on, we're done here.".

"Sure, but where are we going?", he asked.

"Ridgeview. My treat.", I answered as started to walk out of The Chivalry's guild house.
___________________________________________________________________________

"Oi, Takagi! Dinner's ready!", a boy shouted while banging a door.

"Wait up big bro. I'm just about to beat this guy.", Takagi replied from the other side of the door.

"Come on already. You know we have to eat when the whole family's on the table.", the older boy said. He went inside his brother's room to see what he's up to.

"Can't you just use Firestorm and finish it already?", the older boy asked.

"I can't use it yet, I need to use a decoy skill to make the guy use his silencing skill.", Takagi said.

"Silencing skill?".

"You know, the type of skill that makes the foe unable to use a skill. If he used that, I will not be able to use any skill for a couple of seconds. But as soon as the effect wears off, I'm gonna use Firestorm while his silencing skill cooldown in in count.", Takagi answered.

"Dang it... You do think a whole lot more than regular gamers. No wonder you're one of the best in this region, Vyper.", the older brother said.

"Don't call me that bro!", Takagi said. His older brother just laughed.
__________________________________________________________________________

"Hi X!", Val greeted me when I walked into Ridgeview Crest.

"Hey Val. You got a table for 2?", I asked.

"Sure, follow me. Who's your friend?", she asked.

"The name's Barrios. I'm a good friend of X.", Barrios said as he pat smacked my back.

"Oww....", I said while looking at Barrios with a less than amused face. He just smiled back at me. Val was giggling right next to me due to the scene Barrios was making.

"Here you are.", Val said as she showed us our table. "So, what would you want to eat?".

"I'll have the Wild Meat Deluxe combo.", Barrios said immediately. Val wrote down Barrios' order.

"The usual, X?", she asked me.

"Just make mine anyway you want. I'll also have the Zuto berry tea", I replied.

"Okay. I'll be back soon.", she said as she went inside the kitchen.

"What did you meant by making your's anyway she wanted?", Barrios asked.

"You'll see.", I replied.

"By the way, have you ever seen this insignia?", I asked Barrios while showing him the skull insignia I was holding on.

"No. Why?", he asked me back.

"This skull is the insignia of the ones who were guarding the gate to the next floor.", I said.

"Seriously? Are they strong?".

"I would say they have... advanced tactics.", I said.

"How so?", Barrios asked.

"I was assaulted by them when I was tailing one of them. They used tactical means of taking down an enemy. I was ambushed by a fencer, a rogue, and 2 defenders. I was charged by the two defenders, which I dodged, but the rogue used some kind of disorientation explosive to make me lose my balance. This buys some time for the fencer to be able to land a strike on me.", I replied.

"Bugger...", Barrios said.

"The rogue also used a smoke grenade which made me unable to see, but he was able to since he has already tagged me.", I said.

"How did you get out of the mess?", he asked.

"I'd rather not say, it's not something I want to remember.", I replied.

"Why?"

"It costed 2 unwanted casualties.", I said.

"Alright you guys, here's your food.", Val interrupted our conversation. She set down our orders on the table.

"Thanks Val.", I said. As usual, her smile always lift my feelings, which made me feel more easier.

"So, what's this made of?", I asked.

"What's it made of?", Barrios asked in confusion.

"This isn't in the menu, that's what I meant by making mine her way.", I said. Barrios looked shocked as if he thought it wasn't fair. Val and I just laughed at him.

"This time, I tried to make it with grilled fish topped with some kind of tartar sauce recipe I made.", she said.

"I see. Sound's nice", I replied.

"Sure does. If you don't mind, I'll grab a bite from-", Barrios was interrupted as I smacked his head to the table.

"Don't even think about it.", I said.

"Damn it...", he said while his face was still squashed to the table. Val just laughed at this and came to sit with us.

"Don't you have other customers to worry about?", I asked.

"It's already closing time you know.", she said.

"Haaa?". I checked my menu, and yes it was already closing time.

"Sorry... again.", I sighed.

"I don't mind if it's you", she said. "Go ahead and try the bread.".

I took a bite of my dinner and it does taste amusing as always. "It's so good...", I said.

"You're drooling, X", Barrios interrupted.

"Good food can't be rushed.", I reluctantly said while taking another bite.

"Hahaha. So what were you guys talking about just now?", Val asked.

"It's about the skull insignia I told you about this morning.", I answered.

"And X being ambushed.", Barrios added.

"Ooo... About that time right?", Val asked. I simply nodded as I took another bite of my dinner.

"By the way, there wasn't any of them who visited my restaurant today, X.", Val said.

"Might be an underground guild.", Barrios said.

"An underground guild?", I asked.

Barrios finished up his food before continuing. "Yeah, an underground guild. These guilds are guilds that does criminality such as robbing other player's goods and other stuffs. I've even start hearing rumors that they are actually killing other players.".

"What?", I asked after I finished my food.

"Well, I've only heard rumors about it. I don't know if it's real or not.", Barrios said.

"What are we going to do about it?", Val asked.

"I'm gonna go and dig out some information tomorrow, you guys just do what you usually do. I'll-", I was stopped by Barrios.

"No. I'm not going to let you handle this on your own.", he said.

"Me neither.", Val added.

"But you guys can end up messing in the wrong place for that.", I defended my idea.

"You might already be a target for them to kill since you actually took out 2 of their people, X. I'm not gonna let you go on your own.", Barrios said.

"Barrios...", I said.

"I don't want you to get killed because of silly things like this too, X. I think it even might be best if you lay low for a little while. Like Barrios said, you might already be a target.", Val added.

"You too, Val?"

"Yeah."

For the first time in my life, I had to choose to ally myself with people I trust, or to work as a lone wolf like usual.

No comments:

Post a Comment